Roulette is a very popular game of chance that has been played for hundreds of years. It originated in France in the 18th century and has become a favorite in casinos across the world, as well as online. Here is a guide on how to play this exciting game.
The Basics of how to Play Online Roulette
There are two important aspects in roulette, namely the wheel and the table on which the wheel stands which displays the layout of the game, with reference to online roulette.
The roulette wheel is a spinning wheel which has an arrangement of 38 slots, each of which has a number ranging from 1 to 36, a single 0 and a double 00 (European roulette has only a single 0).
The numbers are not arranged serially but in a fixed sequence of alternating pairs of odd number with even number. The numbered slots are colored black and red alternately, while the 0 and 00 slots are green.
The table is the area where you place your bets. The table consists of the numbers of the roulette wheel lined serially into three columns, each with twelve rows. So the first row has 1, 2 and 3; the second has 4, 5 and 6 and so on until 36. The zeros, and other boxes marked to indicate different bets, are also a part of the table. For example there are boxes marked red, black, odd, even and so on. Up to eight players can sit at a roulette wheel. There is a croupier or dealer who spins the wheel and manages the bets and winnings.The table is the area where you place your bets. The table consists of the numbers of the roulette wheel lined serially into three columns, each with twelve rows. So the first row has 1, 2 and 3; the second has 4, 5 and 6 and so on until 36. The zeros, and other boxes marked to indicate different bets, are also a part of the table. For example there are boxes marked red, black, odd, even and so on.
Up to eight players can sit at a roulette wheel. There is a croupier or dealer who spins the wheel and manages the bets and winnings.
How to Play Roulette Online
Learning to play online or live roulette is simple, and it will not take long for you to understand the basics of the game. Before commencing a game of roulette, the player will first have to place a wager, which is done by betting on a number. A player will be allowed to place a bet on any number on the wheel beginning with the zero.
After all the players at the table has made their bets, the croupier will set the ball rolling and begin the game. You bet by placing your chip on a number (any number including zero), a colours or a set of numbers on the table. To find out which number and colours wins, the dealer spins the wheel in one direction and spins a small white ball into the wheel in the opposite direction. As the wheel slows the ball comes to rest in one of the slots and that is the jackpot. There is no limit on the number of bets you can place.
Once the wheel slows down and the ball is about to settle into a particular slot, the croupier stops accepting bets from that point forward. After this, players are not allowed to wager or change their bets until the ball finds a niche on the table. The dealer then highlights the lucky number paying the winner and removing the lost wager amounts. Once this is done, players can go ahead with their next bet.
Roulette number bets
You bet by placing your chip on a number (any number including zero), a colours or a set of numbers on the table. To find out which number and colours wins, the dealer spins the wheel in one direction and spins a small white ball into the wheel in the opposite direction. As the wheel slows the ball comes to rest in one of the slots and that is the jackpot.
There is no limit on the number of bets you can place. Shortly before the ball is about to fall into a slot, the croupier announces that there will be no more bets taken. From then on, no one is allowed to place or alter their wagers until the ball drops into a particular slot. The dealer marks the winning number by a dolly and removes the lost wager amounts. After this you can put on your next bet. Meanwhile the dealer pays off the winners, who are the people whose bets that are on or around the number that comes up on the spin of the roulette wheel.
Chances to win : Roulette odds for inside and outside bets
The bets in roulette are generally clubbed under two different categories, inside bets and outside bets.
Roulette Inside Bets
Inside bets are high paying bets as the odds are heavily in favour of the bank. If you win you make a pile of money but the chances of winning are slim.
- Straight bets - You are gambling that the ball is going to land on one particular number. To play this, place your chip on that number on the table. Since the chances of winning are very low, the payout is 35 to 1.
- Split bets - Here you bet that one of two adjoining numbers will win. You place a chip on the line that separates the two numbers and if the ball lands on either number, you win. This bet pays 17 to 1.
- Three Number bet - Here you bet that any number in a particular row will hit the jackpot. Put a chip on the outside line of the row on which you’re betting and if any of the three numbers comes up, you win. The odds are 11 to 1.
- Four-Number bet - If you place a chip at the centre of 4 numbers, you are betting that one of those numbers will come up on the next roll. This bet’s payout is 8 to 1.
- Five-Number bet - If you bet that either, the 0, 00, 1, 2, or 3 will come up on the next spin, place a chip on the line that divides the 0 and 1. The payoff is 6 to 1.
- Six Line bet - When you bet that one of six numbers in two adjoining rows will come up put your chip in between the two rows. If you win, you will be paid 6 to 1.
Roulette Outside Bets
- These are bets that pay you either even money (1 is to 1) or odds of 2 to 1. The returns are small because the odds are usually split evenly between the gambler and the bank. For example if you bet that the ball is going to stop on an even number, the odds are 50:50 because there are only 2 options; odd or even. So either the gambler wins or the bank wins.
- Red - You’re betting that on the next spin the ball is going to stop on a red slot.
- Black - You’re betting the ball is going to stop on a black slot.
- Even - You’re betting the ball will land on an even number slot.
- Odd - You’re betting the ball will land on an odd number slot.
- Low bet - This is a bet that the ball will land on a number between 1 and 18.
- High bet - This is a bet that the ball will land on a number between 19 and 36.
- Dozen bet - The table has 3 boxes that split the 36 numbers into a set of a dozen numbers each; 1-12, 13-24, and 25-36. If you place your chip on any of the boxes you are betting the ball will land on a number contained in the set in that box. This bet pays 2 to 1.
- Column bet - At the end of each column of the table is a box that noted the payout which is 2 to 1. If you keep your chip here you are betting that the next number will be from this column.
There are a lot of roulette strategies going the rounds of the gambling circuit but there is nothing that works every time. The wide variety of roulette strategies you will come across – there are many who make wild claims of guaranteed success with their proven systems, but don’t be fooled into believing these claims. However, many experts have formulated theories that could improve your options of winning the game, such as the Martingale strategy, progressive theories, the Labouchere roulette strategy, the pivot or shower roulette strategy, strategies based on mathematical calculations, and so on.
In any case, there are some basic things you can do to enhance your chances of success, such as looking for a game that has a better house edge as far as you are concerned. You can also play in a free practice mode – this feature is available at most online casinos – to pick up the basics of the game, and hone your playing skills. However at the end of the day, remember that roulette is a game where luck plays an important role, so roulette strategy has only a limited role to play in winning the game.